You are in:
Traditional Barn Dances with Calls and Fiddling (large print)
Dudley Laufman, Jacqueline Laufman
- Format: Largeprint - Mixed media product
- Released: 1 April 2009
- Publisher: Human Kinetics Publishers
- ISBN: 9780736076128
- Category: Large Print Books Non-fiction Arts & music
- Availability: Usually delivered within 14 days.
- Our Price: £49.99
- Author Biography: Dudley Laufman has been playing and calling these dances for 60 years at schools, public dances and private events; all ages take part. Working together as the band Two Fiddles, Dudley and Jacqueline Laufman average nearly 300 dance and music engagements per year. Thus, the dance calls are concise. A dance fiddler for 22 years and having majored in English, Jacqueline provides integrated writing and organizational skills that brings Dudley's lifelong devotion, art and skill to many. This enables others to easily learn how to dance the dances and how to call them. Dudley's innate understanding of the rhythm of jigs and reels is woven throughout the dance calls resulting in a melodic union of lively music and dancers able to move through the calls as an organic whole. The dynamic history and tradition of these dances come alive through his artful mastery and vision of community dance as a social event. All of this is succinctly presented on the audio CDs and within the written portions of this book.
- Format(inches): 11x8
- Format(mm): 279x216
- Number Of Pages: 216
- Product Weight: 658gm
- Publisher Statement: large type edition
Preserving cultural influences, this unique collection of American community folk dances and their historical origins are appropriate for educational and recreational groups of all ages and abilities that gather for social barn dancing fun. No previous experience is needed to be able to teach, dance, and/or call the 46 dances described in this book. As many school curriculums require dance, rhythm and music, preferably integrated with cultural and historical validity, this book/DVD/two CD package provides authentic fiddle music, sheet music, folklore and facts about the dances and easy-to-follow step descriptions.The dances in this invaluable collection and the tunes are the same in most instances as those that have been done in America, Canada, Australia and the UK for over 350 years. Social folk dancing has withstood the test of time because it appeals to one's need and sense of community, family and friendship combined with the sound of the joyful music played on fiddles and other folk instruments. The music for the dances are included on two CDs bound in the book. The music is provided both with prompting calls and without calls.A 30-minute DVD is included to show how all ages can quickly learn and share community values. This comprehensive package encourages interdisciplinary learning as students can be challenged to not only learn about the historical context and do the dances, but also play the tunes.
Other books by Dudley Laufman, Jacqueline Laufman
Other categories worth exploring
Want to find similar books? Check out these other categories:
You may wish to read our delivery charge and refund policies.
Not ready to buy just yet? Bookmark this page and come back any time you want!